A Chapter must conduct at least one Campus Walk or Non-Walk Fundraising event that has been planned and executed by the Chapter, each year. Third-party fundraising events, shopping events, etc. may be done in addition to, but not as an alternative to the Chapter Campus Walk or Non-Walk Fundraising event. It is important to have a balanced fundraising calendar to support the work of the Chapter.
Examples of a Chapter Non-Walk Fundraiser:
- Reception/Auction Event
- Golf event
- Benefit dinner, brunch or luncheon
- Restaurant tasting
- Sporting event
- Carnival, fair, or festival
- Musical event
- Motorcycle events
- Tour for Hope Community Ride
Keep in mind that what might work for one Chapter will not necessarily work for another!
The Chapter needs to think of the following when planning an event:
- Decide on an event. First, think of the market in which the Chapter is located. If it is a small market, then having a celebrity golf tournament is not going to produce any revenue. Perhaps a luncheon in a beautiful, yet small venue would be a better fit. Second, think of the people within the Chapter community who would come to the event. Third, think of the opportunities that all of the Board Members and volunteers can bring to keep costs down and income up.
- Establish a planning committee. The planning committee should consist of Board Members and volunteers who are enthusiastic about planning the event and whose strengths will contribute to the planning process. Remember, events are most successful when tasks are delegated amongst several people, according to their strengths.
- Set a date. Non-walk fundraisers are typically held during the Spring, between the months of March and June (unless otherwise approved by National). This assures that AFSP and the Chapter has a continuous presence in the community throughout the year. When selecting a date for the event, make sure the date does not conflict with other major events in the community or calendar holidays.
Once all of these decisions have been made, a budget should be created and approved by the Chapter Board of Directors, Field Staff and Division Director.
Then please submit the Non-Walk Event form to National for their records as well as to have a Donor Drive event page created, if needed.
Need insurance for your event? Please complete the firstname.lastname@example.org email Sharon Su with any questions at
Please follow the below procedures:
- Please complete the Day of Event Report form & email to Angela email@example.com
- All donations need to be sent to the National Office. No donations are to be deposited to chapter accounts.
- Send checks in as you receive them. Do not hold on to checks. This will ensure that checks are deposited, credited, and acknowledged in a timely manner.
- Use the most updated version of the deposit forms (found in the Financial Procedures section). Please type deposit report or print clearly in ink.
- Save copies of the deposit reports for reference in case you don't see something post in a reasonable amount of time.
- If you're event features an auction, please use the auction deposit form for proper donor acknowledgements.
- Do not send cash. Please convert the cash to a cashier's check and mail it with the completed deposit form. If you have several cash donations from different donors, please convert the donations to one cashier's check. Include all of the donors information and amount donated for proper acknowledgement.
- Make sure checks are send to AFSP, ATTN: Data Entry Coordinator, 120 Wall Street, 29th Floor, New York, NY 10005. Sending them to anyone else slows down the processing.
- Send tracking number to Data Entry Coordinator & Special Events Manager for any and all money sent to National
- Complete the post-event form
- Be patient. Please allow 2-3 weeks before you see the money/participants added to your DonorDrive event page.
Forms & Templates:
- Non-Walk Event form (to be completed before your event & to have your event added to Donor Drive)
- Post-event Form (to be completed after your event)
- Deposit form
- COI Request form
For more information on or assistance with your non-walk fundraising please contact Manager of Special Events, Angela Pearson, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-363-3500 ext. 2044.