If you have recently lost someone to suicide, you may find it helpful to talk with others who have experienced a similar loss.
Although each person experiences the loss in their own way, survivors of suicide loss find they often share common and sometimes overwhelming feelings of loneliness, pain, grief, anger, sadness, and guilt in the wake of a suicide.
Survivors of suicide loss in our volunteer Survivor Outreach Program have been trained to provide support to the newly bereaved. They are available upon request—to visit and offer peer support.
What to Expect
Here is what you can expect when you call a local AFSP chapter and ask for an in-person or telephone visit:
- When you call, we will ask you some questions about your loss. This helps us to find the most suitable trained peer survivor to meet with you.
- A trained Survivor Outreach Program Volunteer will contact you to schedule a visit at a convenient and comfortable location of your choice.
- The visit typically lasts about an hour.
- The survivor will listen to your story with compassion, but cannot offer counseling or therapy.
- AFSP will provide recommendations on helpful things to read. You can also find a reading list here.
- AFSP will provide information on suicide, grief, finding support, and connecting with local resources.
How to Request a Visit
- Contact your local coordinator to request a visit.
- Please understand that we can meet only with those who have requested a visit themselves. If you know of family or friends who wish to arrange a visit, please have them contact us directly.
- AFSP is working hard to expand this program to as many local chapters as possible. If you don’t see your area listed, we can arrange a visit by phone. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (212) 363-3500 Ext. 2035 for more information.
Thank you for your interest in the Survivor Outreach Program. Given the high number of volunteers we currently have, we are not accepting any new applications at this time. However, if you fill out your contact information here, we’ll be happy to add your name to our waiting list.