Welcome. We are the Arizona chapter of the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.
The grassroots work we do focuses on eliminating the loss of life from suicide by: delivering innovative prevention programs, educating the public about risk factors and warning signs, raising funds for suicide research and programs, and reaching out to those individuals who have lost someone to suicide.
As a part of AFSP’s growing nationwide network of chapters, we bring together people from all backgrounds who want to prevent suicide in our communities. Families and friends who have lost someone to suicide, vulnerable individuals, mental health professionals, clergy, educators, students, community/business leaders, and many others energize our chapter.
As an official AFSP chapter since 2010, we have been very active and instrumental in helping to raise awareness of the serious problem of depression and suicide in our communities and state. Through our Out of the Darkness Walks and other fundraising activities, we have raised over $100,000 dollars for research and programs that help to prevent suicide.
These funds have directly benefited our state by allowing us to accomplish the following:
• Furnish Arizona Universities the DVD "The Truth About Suicide: Real Stories of Depression in College " This program is presented to the faculty and students in collaboration with ASU Counseling and the Health and Wellness Center. We received positive feedback from this program and it continues to be used as part of ongoing suicide prevention and education programs.
• Provide information tables at various community events including The Warped Tour, Diamondbacks games, Phoenix Pride Festival, HOPE Conference, Arizona School Counselors Conference, Walk to Prevent Suicide in Tuba City, and the NAMI Walk in Tucson.
• Sponsor a Volunteer Open House
• Host three International Survivors of Suicide Day events, held annually the Saturday before Thanksgiving.
• Present the "More than Sad" Program to train personnel in suicide prevention at a number of public and private schools in Arizona.
- Hold the first annual Campus Walk at Arizona State University in March 2012.
- Host a State Advocacy Day in Phoenix on February 26, 2013
- Work closely with the Suicide Prevention Coalition in Tucson to provide information at over 45 events and conferences throughout Arizona
Events currently planned for 2014:
ASU Campus Walk: Sunday, March 23, Arizona State University, Hayden Lawn, Tempe, AZ
Tucson Area Out of the Darkness Walk: Sunday, October 5th, Reid Park, Tucson
International Survivors of Suicide Day: Saturday, November 23rd,
Tucson Jewish Community Center, 3800 East River Road, Tucson, AZ
Phoenix Area Out of the Darkness Walk: Saturday, December 6th, Kiwanis Park, Tempe, AZ