Have you wondered how the Central PA Chapter of AFSP spends the money raised at the State College Out of the Darkness Walk? 50% of the funds stay in our Chapter to be used for a variety of programming and educational events as well as survivor support. We work hard throughout the year to fund programming and activities to prevent suicide and to support survivors of suicide loss. Some of our accomplishments include:
- Holding seven successful Out of the Darkness Community Walks in Centre County beginning in 2007. Our eighth walk will be held in April of 2014.
- Hosting and facilitating International Survivors of Suicide Day (ISOS DAY) each November on the Saturday before Thanksgiving. This is an annual event in which survivors of suicide loss gather together in locations around the world to feel a sense of community and to promote healing.
- Collaborating with Penn State Film and Video, to create the film Toward Daylight which tells the stories of people in Centre County who have connections to depression and suicide.
- Holding Survivors of Suicide Loss Support Groups in our community facilitated by Evelyn Wald of CHOICES. Funds raised through the walk are used to purchase the materials needed to conduct these groups.
- Holding educational and supportive events in Centre County each September to commemorate National Suicide Prevention Week and World Suicide Prevention Day.
- Displaying a suicide prevention and awareness tree in the annual United Way Festival of Trees event each year.
- Donating books on suicide and survivorship to each public library in Centre County.