Through the contribution of their time, talent, and passion, our volunteers are leading the movement to prevent suicide in local communities across the nation.
They are the driving force behind increasing the public’s awareness of suicide as a public health issue that is preventable. Together, our chapter volunteers deliver innovative prevention programs for schools and business, reach out to survivors of suicide loss, organize fundraising events, and act as a go-to resource for their entire community.
Whatever your background, strengths, or interests, our chapter needs you. Let’s make a difference in the lives of those who have been touched by suicide in our community. Please join us today.
Greater Boston Chapter 2015 Events, Programs and Volunteer Opportunities
We have big plans for upcoming events, educational programs, outreach and advocacy activities which require volunteers and working with committees. We would be delighted to have you join a committee and work toward our mission of suicide prevention. Please review the recap below and complete the volunteer form to let us know what you are interested in.
Out of the Darkness Community Walks:
Central Mass/Worcester Walk, September 19, 2015
South Shore/Cape Cod Walk, September 20, 2015
Wakefield’s North Shore Walk, September 26, 2015
Concord-Carlisle/Metro West Walk, October 4, 2015
Merrimack Valley Walk, October 17, 2015
Boston Area Walk, October 31, 2015
- Members needed for planning committee help with team recruitment, sponsorship, marketing/public relations and working with the media to get coverage
Third Annual A Sip in the Park, a Beer and Wine Tasting Event
Our amazingly successful fundraiser A Sip in the Park will be held on April 25th at Fenway Park- a Beer and Wine Tasting and Silent Auction.
- Committee members to join planning team to help with sponsorship, auction committee, invitation, marketing/public relations
Out of the Darkness Campus Walks
This signature event is to raise funds to support AFSP’s research, education, advocacy and survivor programs; raise awareness about this major health issue, reduce stigma and to involve college and high school students in AFSP’s efforts to prevent suicide and help those impacted by suicide.
- We need help reaching out to contacts at High Schools, Colleges and Universities so we can promote the program and have them host a Campus Walk.
International Survivor of Suicide Day:
International Survivors of Suicide Day is a day of healing for those who have lost someone to suicide. We are looking for individuals to host a conference in your local city or town to bring survivors of suicide together for a healing conference.
Need volunteers to plan new conference sites around MA
Need volunteers for day of event help- set up, registration, vendor table etc
Survivor Outreach Program:
We train local volunteers to help newly bereaved families. Volunteers will:
- meet in person with newly-bereaved survivors and their families
- listen with compassion and offer reassurance that surviving a suicide loss is possible
- recommend helpful things to read
- provide information about support groups and other local resources
- We are looking for survivors who can join the team as outreach volunteers. Please check out our website for more information, application form and guidelines.
AFSP Field Advocates:
AFSP/SPAN USA’s Field Advocate program seeks to inspire others to raise their community’s awareness about suicide and help spread the word that prevention is possible. Increase public awareness of suicide as a public health problem in every community across the country, promote local, state, and federal policies and programs that prevent suicide, disseminate information to individuals in the community regarding SPAN USA activities.
- We are hoping to have field Advocate representatives per Congressional district in Mass. Applications and more information regarding field advocates are available at www.spanusa.org
For more information contact:
Associate Area Director