Welcome. We are the Greater Houston Area chapter of the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.
The grassroots work we do focuses on eliminating the loss of life from suicide by: delivering innovative prevention programs, educating the public about risk factors and warning signs, raising funds for suicide research and programs, and reaching out to those individuals who have lost someone to suicide.
As a part of AFSP’s growing nationwide network of chapters, we bring together people from all backgrounds who want to prevent suicide in our communities. Families and friends who have lost someone to suicide, vulnerable individuals, mental health professionals, clergy, educators, students, community/business leaders, and many others energize our chapter.
The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention is the leading national not-for-profit organization exclusively dedicated to understanding and preventing suicide through research, education and advocacy as well as to reaching out to people with mental disorders and those impacted by suicide.
The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention is dedicated to advancing our knowledge of suicide and our ability to prevent it. The Foundation's activities include:
● Supporting research projects that help further the understanding and treatment of depression and the prevention of suicide
● Providing information and education about depression and suicide
● Promoting professional education for the recognition and treatment of depressed and suicidal individuals
● Publicizing the magnitude of the problems of depression and suicide and the need for research, prevention and treatment
● Supporting programs for suicide survivor treatment, research and education
Our chapter covers a large area that includes the following counties: Harris, Fort Bend, Montgomery, Brazoria, Galveston, Liberty, Waller, Chambers, San Jacinto, and Jefferson. With this much land to cover, we would love all the support and extra hands we can get so we strongly encourage you to contact us today!