Find Help

In an Emergency, Contact:

  • —Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
  • —Psychiatric hospital walk-in clinic
  • —Hospital emergency room
  • —Urgent care center/clinic
  • —Call 911

Read about suicide risk factors and warning signs.

Who is a Mental Health Professional?

  • Someone who can help people get relief from mental health problems and disorders and find ways to improve mental wellness and resiliency.
  • They may be a psychiatrist, psychologist, social worker, marriage and family therapist, psychiatric nurse, or counselor with mental health training.
  • You may find these professionals in emergency rooms, hospitals, clinics, schools, community and religious centers, and in private practices. You can ask your doctor for a referral.

How Can a Mental Health Professional Help?

  • —If you feel unhappy, depressed, anxious, fearful, moody, or in need of emotional help, a mental health professional can help you to understand your problems and to feel better.
  • —They have specialized training to identify and understand problems that may be causing you discomfort or putting you at risk.
  • —They also have specialized training in helping people with a variety of mental disorders.
  • —If you need it, they can prescribe medicine, or can connect you with someone who can determine whether you need medication.
  • —They are trained to offer an objective, independent viewpoint.
  • —They can help you to connect with other professionals and specialists, if needed.

What does Mental Health Treatment Involve?

How Can Someone Find a Mental Health Professional?

  • Ask your family or primary care doctor, pediatrician, or ob-gyn physician for a referral.
  • Students who are in school and their families can talk to a guidance counselor.
  • —Those in a college or university can contact the student Counseling Center or Health Center.
  • —Connect to a clinic or treatment facility associated with a local Medical School or graduate training program in psychology, counseling or social work.
  • Contact the Department of Psychiatry at your local hospital.
  • —If there is a university in your area, inquire whether they have a Depression Research Center or other mental health services.

Professional Organizations That Can Provide Information or a Referral

 National Grassroots Support Organizations